Saturday, January 21, 2012

A little work and thoughts on another project

Hello and welcome to make another project before you finish the last.  This seems to be my mode of operation lately, but it will only get worse.  The Amherst Train Show is next weekend.  And that can only mean more projects.  I need to stop thinking up more projects....

As I said in the last post I was waiting for a Bachmann PCC in the mail.  Well it came, and now we got something to add to the buy at show list, another Bachmann 60' steel coach.  It seems that I was way off in the length, but right on in the width.


It now looks like I am going to need another car to chop down to fit the PCC chassis.  The chassis slips nicely inside the car sides and with Brill side frames won't be that bad a steel city car.

Another project I made modest progress on is the wood sided Brill I talked about in Episode 2.  The Bachmann Brill shell was modified by removing the steel, riveted sides and replacing them with scribed siding.  The rivet detail on the dashers was scraped off leaving a smooth surface, mimicking a single piece of steel.  The shell still uses the original clips to hold the shell to the chassis.


The image is a bit dark but the chassis fits as designed and even the people look good.  Next stop for this is the shop to grind out the pockets for the motor leads and wire up the poles and hooks for pole reverse.

I am still waiting to find out when the new camcorder I ordered will be here, it's on backorder, ugh!  Which explains the delay in the next video.  Maybe I will just make another on the old gear so again please bear with the audio.  And speaking of the next episode, as the new camcorder is not here, I will wait on the overhead work and give you an overview on the two new shells that GHB has out:  a double truck Birney and an extended vestibule version of the same car.  The page does not show them but email them and they will help you out.  These castings are beautiful and really open up what is available.  Between Miniatures by Eric and George at GHB, we are really getting a variety of cars for our railways!

No comments:

Post a Comment